We are thrilled to announce that ‘As You Like It’, the second edition of our Gerald Kraak Anthology of African perspectives on gender, social justice, and sexuality, has won the 2019Lambda Literary Award for an anthology.
The Other Foundation, in partnership with the Diakonia Council of Churches, and the Durban Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre invites you to attend our religion convening, Breaking through the Backlash: Transformative Encounters Between LGBTI People and Churches in Africa.
The third Gerald Kraak anthology, Heart of the Matter, is out. Congratulations to OluTimehin Adegbeye, whose essay, ‘Mothers and Men’, made her this year’s worthy winner. Submissions for the next Gerald Kraak anthology and prize are open all year.
15 peer reviewers selected from across southern Africa have made recommendations to our board about which of the grant applications we received should receive funding. With backgrounds in religion, business, human rights, the arts, and community organizing, this class of 2019 will ensure that our grantmaking continues to be informed, smart and impactful.
Thank you for your active involvement in our community this year. With your support, we have cast a wider and deeper net to help build a movement of activism across southern Africa – from Luanda in Angola to Port Louis in Mauritius, and from Mzuzu in Malawi to Cape Town in South Africa.
The Other Foundation partners with Facebook on its inaugural South Africa NGO Day, aimed at bringing together local NGO communities in a day of learning and networking.
Many are calling kopano – Accelerating Change, the best LGBTI convening of all time. Couldn’t attend? No sweat! We captured on video all the plenaries, key outcomes and all around magic for you to watch.
Estimating the value of the pink Rand is critical in building the case for more advances in getting the private sector to move faster in opening space for the LGBTI community, and creating safe spaces in cities and workspaces.
A public debate is raging about how churches can spread homophobic hatred, or promote respect and inclusion based on the equal dignity of every person. Our new report, Silent no longer!, examines the types of engagement churches have with homosexual men and women, and transgender and intersex people in southern Africa.
Homophobia has become a site of painful struggle in the churches, in much the same way as slavery, racism and sexism was in the past. When faith does violence, a new reflection paper by African Christian scholars, reflects on how churches can become liberating rather than oppressive, redemptive rather than violent towards homosexual women and men, and transgender and intersex people in Africa.
All ten country reports in our Canaries In The Coal Mines studies are now available. What is the state of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex organizing and social inclusion, in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe?
There is a general belief that African people are deeply homophobic and unaccepting of gender diversities. But what does the African public really think? The truth is that we don’t really know because hardly any work has been done to gather and analyze the views of the public in a structured way in Africa. Until now.
- YouCute 4pcs 3.7V 500mAh official Battery and 1to6 charger for UDI U818A U818A1 U818A HD U818A HD+ RC quadcopter drone spare parts
- Haglofs Observe Mid GT Surround Walking Boots
- OFZYG Projector, LED 96+ Projector 3D Home Theater Optional Android 6.0 100inch Screen Gift Full HD 1080P HDMI Video Projector
- QL05NB Authentic Original FOTEK Proximity Switch, Proximity sensors NPN
- Onzama Women Cow Leather Backpack Ladies Travel Rucksack Casual Schoolbag Daypack for Girls
- Sterling Silver LogoArt Official Licensed Collegiate Clemson University (CU) XL Disc Pendant
- HXBLB OneShoulder Out Bag Carrying Bags Teddy Backpack cat Bag Dog Travel Folding Breathable pet Bag Supplies (Size M)
- Jun Men's Leather Sandals Outdoor Hiking Sandals Waterproof Athletic Sports Sandals Fisherman Beach shoes Closed Toe Water Sandals (color Brown, Size 7 D(M) US)
- Gibbon Slacklines Surfline, Purple, 98Feet
- Kess InHouse Sophy Tuttle Crow Yoga Exercise Mat, Black Whit
- For KIA Picanto Super Star Graphic Vinyl Decal Auto Door Side Decor Sticker Body Predection Decal Car Accessories Sport Styling (color Name Glossy Black)
- ZTTO 11 Speed Cassette 1142T Compatible Bike High Tensile Steel Black Silver
- LED Bike Helmet Taillight Warning Magnetic Sunglasses OnePiece Process Breathable Safety Predection Suitable for Road Bike Mountain Cycling Men&Women
- DDHZTA Filz nass Filz Planet Nachthimmel Beret Hexe hat kreative DIY Hut,Beret
- KANG Leisure Package Laptop Bag Travel Packages Student Bag
- PrAna Khari Swim One Piece
- Bloomerang Latest Women Real Suede Leather Tote Bag Female Leisure Large Shoulder Bags Casual Nubuck Travelling Handbag Crossbody Bag color Burgundy
- Bloomerang Alligator 2PC Purses Handbag Luxury Handbags Women Messenger Bags Casual Tote Bags Ladies Crossbody Bag for Women Sac A Main color Beige
- Skechers Men's Alisos Casual shoes
- Intrepid International Show Bow with Concho, Purple
- Fusion Climb Team Large Carbon Steel D-Ring gold MBS 23KN 5-Pack
- PUMA Women's Meteor WN'S Running Sneaker
- (Large, Limon Grey) - Therm-a-Rest Stuffsack Stuff sack pillow
- Girl Portable Backpack 12 Inches Notebook Waterproof Backpack Trend Joker Fashion College Oxford Casual Schoolbag,RedOneSize
- Fremont Die 98519 San Diego Chargers PolySuede Steering Wheel Cover
- College Bookbag colord Cats Black Print Schoolbag Unisex Backpack Hiking Daypacks Travel Sports Bags
- 800LM Solar Powered Light 58 LED Solar Light PIR Human Body Motion Sensor Outdoor LED Garden Light Waterproof IP65 Wall Lamp
- North Carolina Tar Heels Money Clip
- SIMON MILLER Women's W742600641159 orange Polyester Skirt
- NCAA Maryland Terrapins Outdoor Picnic Blanket Tote, Black
- Camping Cookware with Tea Pot Set for Backpacking Gear and Outdoors Survival, Utensils Cooking Equipment with Cooking Pots and Mini NonStick Pan for Hiking
- Napier Sportz 57 Series Long Truck Tent, Full & AirBedz PPI 102 Short Mattress
- Champro CPX2000 Volleyball Knee Pad
- NonSlip Rubber Yoga mat Yoga Towel Portable Folding Sports Fitness Yoga Blanket
- BlackDiamond (Black Diamond) Half Dome Ultra blueee (BL) S M [parallel import goods]
- Adidas 3Stripes Full Zip Fitted Hoodie
Everyone should be free to live a safe and dignified life, have a family and make their contribution to society. The Other Foundation works to change the views, practices and institutions that prevent people – because of who they are or who they love – from being able to do that in southern Africa. We gather support for those who are working to protect and advance the rights, wellbeing and social inclusion of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities – and we give support in a smart way that helps groups to work better for lasting change.
The Other Foundation is an African trust dedicated to advancing human rights in Squirrel Products 30 Large Kids Rock Climbing Holds with Mounting Hardware for up to 1 Inssizetion, with a particular focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people. Our primary purpose is to expand resources available to defend and advance the rights and well-being of LGBTI people in the Southern African region. We do this by working both as a grant-maker and a fundraiser. Read our full mission statement here. The Atlantic Philanthropies has provided a generous start-up grant over a five-year period to cover all operational costs, subject to the Foundation being able to raise additional funds from other sources. Women's 5 Inch Plain Stretch Thigh Boot (Black;15)
The Foundation is pleased to announce the outcomes of its inaugural round of grant making. The Foundation allocated 32 grants, totaling around ZAR3.1 million, for work that will advance the rights and improve the well-being of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. Organisations and individuals were given grants ranging from ZAR10,000 to ZAR500,000. Click here to see a full list of grants that were allocated. The Other Foundation wanted its first grant making initiative to be a truly transparent and participatory process. Rather than consider grant proposals entirely on its own, the foundation’s board asked the public to nominate a panel of peer reviewers to help review and assess grant applications. The 12 peer reviewers chosen formed a diverse group from six countries in southern Africa. They worked in four teams, each facilitated by a board member, to decide which projects to recommend for funding. This gave meaningful expression to the identity of The Other Foundation as an LGBTI community foundation. Click here to see who the peer reviewers were in the grant making process.Click Queen Area Women's Mathematical Equation Print Fitness 4 Way Stretch Yoga Capris Leggings to see a report about the development, implementation, and outcomes of this unique grant making process. The report will be of interest to foundations and philanthropists interested in more accountable and transparent ways of making grants.
The funds for the pilot grant-making initiative have come from personal gifts from 18 individual donors who visited South Africa early in 2014 to find out more about the amazing work that activists are doing to defend and advance the rights of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. The Atlantic Philanthropies matched the funds raised from this donor tour, providing The Other Foundation with close to ZAR4 million to give out as small grants to individuals and organisations across Southern Africa. A range of fundraising initiatives were launched in 2014. All funds that are raised will go to programming and grant-making as our operational costs are fully covered by the Atlantic Philanthropies for the next five years.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments. Quail- 22 Leggings With Pocket Large Marika Women's Activewear Control Top Leggings Designer Quality High Waist Yoga Pants with Tummy Control Please contact us either by email, phone, or letter. Fishing Tackle Box Gear Boxes Toolbox TOPIND 2-Sided Storage Organiser Bits Screws Nails Tool Carry Case Fishing Tools DIY Tools Fishing Angler Hooks Tackle Bait Lures Float
Human rights activist with a legal background. Active in church groups that promote greater understanding of diversity and human rights in a multi-cultural context.
Counseling psychologist and senior psychology lecturer. Former director of the transformation and employment equity office of Wits University.
Educationalist interested in the use of new technologies and a leadership coach. Technical support director in the South African government’s basic education department.
Economist, policy researcher, and entrepreneur with a corporate and investment banking background. Print media columnist on social and economic development issues.
Project management and programming specialist with a background in women’s and human rights of sexual minorities background. Co-founder of the Women’s Alliance for Equality.
Print, radio and television journalist with a strong commitment to amplifying the concerns of women. Media freedom activist.
Miguel de Brito
Mozambican human rights activist. Instrumental in setting up Mozambique’s leading LGBTI organisation. Democracy and governance specialist with a focus on electoral systems.
Organisational development, monitoring and evaluation, and project design specialist. Researcher and consultant on philanthropy development.
Co-founder of Arquivo de Identidade Angolano (the Angolan Identity Archive). Technical advisor on projects working to overcome stigma and discrimination in the provision of health services.
African philanthropy development practitioner, experienced grant maker, economic justice activist, and civil society strategist with a track record in establishing successful organisations. Chief executive officer of The Other Foundation.
The Other Foundation is grateful for the support it has received from