We are thrilled to announce that ‘As You Like It’, the second edition of our Gerald Kraak Anthology of African perspectives on gender, social justice, and sexuality, has won the 2019Lambda Literary Award for an anthology.
The Other Foundation, in partnership with the Diakonia Council of Churches, and the Durban Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre invites you to attend our religion convening, Breaking through the Backlash: Transformative Encounters Between LGBTI People and Churches in Africa.
The third Gerald Kraak anthology, Heart of the Matter, is out. Congratulations to OluTimehin Adegbeye, whose essay, ‘Mothers and Men’, made her this year’s worthy winner. Submissions for the next Gerald Kraak anthology and prize are open all year.
15 peer reviewers selected from across southern Africa have made recommendations to our board about which of the grant applications we received should receive funding. With backgrounds in religion, business, human rights, the arts, and community organizing, this class of 2019 will ensure that our grantmaking continues to be informed, smart and impactful.
Thank you for your active involvement in our community this year. With your support, we have cast a wider and deeper net to help build a movement of activism across southern Africa – from Luanda in Angola to Port Louis in Mauritius, and from Mzuzu in Malawi to Cape Town in South Africa.
The Other Foundation partners with Facebook on its inaugural South Africa NGO Day, aimed at bringing together local NGO communities in a day of learning and networking.
Many are calling kopano – Accelerating Change, the best LGBTI convening of all time. Couldn’t attend? No sweat! We captured on video all the plenaries, key outcomes and all around magic for you to watch.
Estimating the value of the pink Rand is critical in building the case for more advances in getting the private sector to move faster in opening space for the LGBTI community, and creating safe spaces in cities and workspaces.
A public debate is raging about how churches can spread homophobic hatred, or promote respect and inclusion based on the equal dignity of every person. Our new report, Silent no longer!, examines the types of engagement churches have with homosexual men and women, and transgender and intersex people in southern Africa.
Homophobia has become a site of painful struggle in the churches, in much the same way as slavery, racism and sexism was in the past. When faith does violence, a new reflection paper by African Christian scholars, reflects on how churches can become liberating rather than oppressive, redemptive rather than violent towards homosexual women and men, and transgender and intersex people in Africa.
All ten country reports in our Canaries In The Coal Mines studies are now available. What is the state of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex organizing and social inclusion, in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe?
There is a general belief that African people are deeply homophobic and unaccepting of gender diversities. But what does the African public really think? The truth is that we don’t really know because hardly any work has been done to gather and analyze the views of the public in a structured way in Africa. Until now.
- Anshesix Fashion Throwing Blanket Nature Sun Rises Between Tree Branches in Misty Weather Foggy Sky Illustration Soft Blanket Microfiber W72 xL72 Sofa,Picnic,Camping,Beach,Everyday use
- Kneos Tech Dual Mode blueeetooth ANT+ Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap, Wireless Sport Fitness Tracker Sensor, Waterproof IP67, Adjustable Belt
- Pullups arms Indoor Horizontal Bars Home Fitness Equipment Indoor drawbars Home Gyms, Wall mounting (color White, Size 97 50 29cm)
- Propét Womens Travel Walker Slide Travel Walker Slide
- Double Layer Ingreened Horse White Art Painting Nature White Horse Mold 1791995 Umbrellas Reverse Folding Umbrella Windproof Uv Predection Big Straight Umbrella For Car Rain Outdoor With Cshaped Handle
- (Size 38, Ocean) Killtec Women's Luira Ski Functional Jacket with ZipOff Hood and Snow Catcher
- Kesoto Archery Leather Hip Quiver Arrow Holder Back Bag W Buckle Pocket Backpack for Left Right Hand
- Push Bar Pushup,Pushup redating Push up Handles with redating Base for Fitness Workout Home Gym
- Original New 100% Special Selling high Precision New Sensor NCB5-18GM60-Z0 Proximity Switch
- Neon Lime XXS Reebok Womens Ankle Legging DU4828-P
- Bloomerang Aminou Brand Crossbody Bags Diamond Lattice Women Bag Designer Handbags High Quality Chain Ladies Women Messenger Bag Feminina color Small pink
- Bloomerang DIZHIGE Brand Luxury Handbags Womens Cowhide Crossbody Bags High Quality Thread Flower Multifunction Bags Women Tote New color Red 20x10x19(cm)
- Nylon Waterproof Backpack Casual Small Backpack Outdoor Storage Package Casual Daypacks (color Purple, Size 22 11 30cm)
- Black color 30 40L Outdoor Bag Rucksack Men Women Ultralight Travel Backpack Waterproof Sports Hiking Camping Bag
- Tobar M31386R Lamborghini Centenario, 1 18 SP (B) red
- B Large Outdoor Folding Chair Portable Mazar Small Chair Beach Camping Folding Stool Fishing Chair Art Student Sketch Chair Breathable Comfortable Delicate Fabric Scratch Resistant Wear Waterproof,D,S
- Owl Decor Women's Camping Design Running shoes Climbing Gift
- Bike Helmet Pc Shell EPS Liner Cycling Helmet with Reflective Sticker Mountain Bike Helmet 31 Vents Head Circumference (505630mm)
- 6ix9ine Backpack for Women Men,School Hip Hop College Backpack Lightweight Packable Travel Hiking Fashion Backpack
- LONGBOARD Package CORE 7 in SILVER TRUCKS 70mm Clr WHEELS
- Foley Extension Fuxing New Fishing Rod Fishing Rod 6H19 4H28 Transfer Station Tone Black Pit carp carp Fishing Rod Hand Lever
- Dunlop Progress Squash Balls 1 Dozen by Dunlop
- Grey Ghost Gear Griff Pack Tactical Backpack Black
- 1 24RC Auto Hummer H3 (Red)
- Meijunter Desert Army Combat Patrol Boots Tactical Cadet Military Security Work shoes
- 8m×12m Silver+Green Tarpaulin 0.35mm PE Waterproof UV Tear Resistance Aging Resistant Camping Hiking Family Fishing Insulation Outdoor Tarp Ground Sheet Covers
- ZH Hiking Daypacks Backpack Outdoor Professional Mountaineering Bag-Men and Women Large Capacity 80+5l Travel Backpack Waterproof (color Deep blueee)
- Jackall D-Bill Shad 55 SR Floating Lure Kotetsu Shibu Silver (2281)
Everyone should be free to live a safe and dignified life, have a family and make their contribution to society. The Other Foundation works to change the views, practices and institutions that prevent people – because of who they are or who they love – from being able to do that in southern Africa. We gather support for those who are working to protect and advance the rights, wellbeing and social inclusion of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities – and we give support in a smart way that helps groups to work better for lasting change.
The Other Foundation is an African trust dedicated to advancing human rights in Swim Systems Womens C103 Solana Plunge One Piece Swimsuit with Mesh Inserts One Piece Swimsuit Purple Large, with a particular focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people. Our primary purpose is to expand resources available to defend and advance the rights and well-being of LGBTI people in the Southern African region. We do this by working both as a grant-maker and a fundraiser. Read our full mission statement here. The Atlantic Philanthropies has provided a generous start-up grant over a five-year period to cover all operational costs, subject to the Foundation being able to raise additional funds from other sources. Trendy Print Backpack, Youth Oxford Spinning Sports Travel Ultra Light Backpack Leisure Hiking Riding Student Backpack
The Foundation is pleased to announce the outcomes of its inaugural round of grant making. The Foundation allocated 32 grants, totaling around ZAR3.1 million, for work that will advance the rights and improve the well-being of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. Organisations and individuals were given grants ranging from ZAR10,000 to ZAR500,000. Click here to see a full list of grants that were allocated. The Other Foundation wanted its first grant making initiative to be a truly transparent and participatory process. Rather than consider grant proposals entirely on its own, the foundation’s board asked the public to nominate a panel of peer reviewers to help review and assess grant applications. The 12 peer reviewers chosen formed a diverse group from six countries in southern Africa. They worked in four teams, each facilitated by a board member, to decide which projects to recommend for funding. This gave meaningful expression to the identity of The Other Foundation as an LGBTI community foundation. Click here to see who the peer reviewers were in the grant making process.Click Owaheson Laceup Sneaker Training shoes Mens Womens Tie Elegant Puffin Gentleman to see a report about the development, implementation, and outcomes of this unique grant making process. The report will be of interest to foundations and philanthropists interested in more accountable and transparent ways of making grants.
The funds for the pilot grant-making initiative have come from personal gifts from 18 individual donors who visited South Africa early in 2014 to find out more about the amazing work that activists are doing to defend and advance the rights of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. The Atlantic Philanthropies matched the funds raised from this donor tour, providing The Other Foundation with close to ZAR4 million to give out as small grants to individuals and organisations across Southern Africa. A range of fundraising initiatives were launched in 2014. All funds that are raised will go to programming and grant-making as our operational costs are fully covered by the Atlantic Philanthropies for the next five years.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments. Mamrar Men Sandals Casual Beach shoes Open Toe Soft Buckle Roma shoes EU Size 3445 Mamrar Please contact us either by email, phone, or letter. American Educational Microslide Life In Tidepool Lesson Plan Set
Human rights activist with a legal background. Active in church groups that promote greater understanding of diversity and human rights in a multi-cultural context.
Counseling psychologist and senior psychology lecturer. Former director of the transformation and employment equity office of Wits University.
Educationalist interested in the use of new technologies and a leadership coach. Technical support director in the South African government’s basic education department.
Economist, policy researcher, and entrepreneur with a corporate and investment banking background. Print media columnist on social and economic development issues.
Project management and programming specialist with a background in women’s and human rights of sexual minorities background. Co-founder of the Women’s Alliance for Equality.
Print, radio and television journalist with a strong commitment to amplifying the concerns of women. Media freedom activist.
Miguel de Brito
Mozambican human rights activist. Instrumental in setting up Mozambique’s leading LGBTI organisation. Democracy and governance specialist with a focus on electoral systems.
Organisational development, monitoring and evaluation, and project design specialist. Researcher and consultant on philanthropy development.
Co-founder of Arquivo de Identidade Angolano (the Angolan Identity Archive). Technical advisor on projects working to overcome stigma and discrimination in the provision of health services.
African philanthropy development practitioner, experienced grant maker, economic justice activist, and civil society strategist with a track record in establishing successful organisations. Chief executive officer of The Other Foundation.
The Other Foundation is grateful for the support it has received from