We are thrilled to announce that ‘As You Like It’, the second edition of our Gerald Kraak Anthology of African perspectives on gender, social justice, and sexuality, has won the 2019Lambda Literary Award for an anthology.
The Other Foundation, in partnership with the Diakonia Council of Churches, and the Durban Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre invites you to attend our religion convening, Breaking through the Backlash: Transformative Encounters Between LGBTI People and Churches in Africa.
The third Gerald Kraak anthology, Heart of the Matter, is out. Congratulations to OluTimehin Adegbeye, whose essay, ‘Mothers and Men’, made her this year’s worthy winner. Submissions for the next Gerald Kraak anthology and prize are open all year.
15 peer reviewers selected from across southern Africa have made recommendations to our board about which of the grant applications we received should receive funding. With backgrounds in religion, business, human rights, the arts, and community organizing, this class of 2019 will ensure that our grantmaking continues to be informed, smart and impactful.
Thank you for your active involvement in our community this year. With your support, we have cast a wider and deeper net to help build a movement of activism across southern Africa – from Luanda in Angola to Port Louis in Mauritius, and from Mzuzu in Malawi to Cape Town in South Africa.
The Other Foundation partners with Facebook on its inaugural South Africa NGO Day, aimed at bringing together local NGO communities in a day of learning and networking.
Many are calling kopano – Accelerating Change, the best LGBTI convening of all time. Couldn’t attend? No sweat! We captured on video all the plenaries, key outcomes and all around magic for you to watch.
Estimating the value of the pink Rand is critical in building the case for more advances in getting the private sector to move faster in opening space for the LGBTI community, and creating safe spaces in cities and workspaces.
A public debate is raging about how churches can spread homophobic hatred, or promote respect and inclusion based on the equal dignity of every person. Our new report, Silent no longer!, examines the types of engagement churches have with homosexual men and women, and transgender and intersex people in southern Africa.
Homophobia has become a site of painful struggle in the churches, in much the same way as slavery, racism and sexism was in the past. When faith does violence, a new reflection paper by African Christian scholars, reflects on how churches can become liberating rather than oppressive, redemptive rather than violent towards homosexual women and men, and transgender and intersex people in Africa.
All ten country reports in our Canaries In The Coal Mines studies are now available. What is the state of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex organizing and social inclusion, in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe?
There is a general belief that African people are deeply homophobic and unaccepting of gender diversities. But what does the African public really think? The truth is that we don’t really know because hardly any work has been done to gather and analyze the views of the public in a structured way in Africa. Until now.
- Coffee 9.5 M US sadness n Men's Boots Waterproof Leather Hiking shoes
- WILSON Men's Rush Pro 2.5
- 60 Recurve Bow Takedown Longbow Traditional Archery Bow Wooden Riser Right Hand for Adult Outdoor Hunting Shooting Target Practice
- Animal Dog Border Collie Blackandwhite Real Mix Pet Fluffy Puppy Ingreened Umbrella Large Double Layer Outdoor Rain Sun Car Reversible Umbrella
- Fengshangshanghang Yoga Mat, Super NonSlip Mat, and Simple Design, Suitable for All Kinds of Movements, Gifts (74 32 Inches, Thickness 10 Mm, Packaging for Yoga Mats) Thicken
- GATSBY LEATHER COMPANY 283231 Rubber Grip Reins Havanna Brown, 5 8
- Suitshome Women's Vintage Swim Dress V Neck Flower Sea Bikinis Swimsuit
- YFFSS Swim Goggles with Clear Vision AntiFog UV Predection No Leaking Swimming Goggles for Men Women Adult Youth
- Beretta Hard Shell Professional Shotgun Case
- Fjallraven F83242 Mens Anorak No. 8 Rock Climbing Jacket, Dark OliveS
- (2500Yard 40Pound) PLine CXXXtra Strong Bulk Spool (2500Yard, 18kg, Smoke blueee)
- Animal 68 Years Kids Boys colorful Novelty Fashion Cotton Crew Socks 10 Pairs
- HENG Large Capacity Outdoor Rucksack, Travel & Hiking Hiking Camping Backpack, College School Backpack, Suitable for 15 Laptop Tablet for Hiking, Traveling & Camping (color Khaki)
- Xiaomei Kinderspielzeug für Kinder mit Beleuchtung und Soundeffekten von Kinderspielzeug für Kinder (Farbe Pink)
- Fawziya Crystal Peacock Clutch Purses For Women Evening Handbags
- Ohio State Horseshoe Stadium and Helmet Framed 5 Pictures Shadowbox
- Car Stickers 360 Degree Magnetic Car Phone Holder Stand for Ford Mondeo kuga Fiesta Focus2 3 ecosport Fusion Ranger Accessories (color Name blueee)
- StarBrite No Damp Dehumidifier Refill (48Ounce) by Star Brite
- Tactical Vest Professional predective vest outdoor sports military enthusiast training weight equipment
- Bloomerang Classic Hobos Women Nylon Handbag High Quality Waterproof Messenger Crossbody Bag for Ladies Casual Tote Brand Female sac a Main color Wine Red
- Bassday (Bath Day) lure Sugar 2 3 Deep SG85F H52BB chart.
- Tecnifibre Black Edition Squash Racquet
- Majestic Denver Broncos Women's Hot Route orange Zip Up Hooded Sweatshirt
- AKDYH Lunch Box Pants Women High Waist Black Lady Pant Autumn Winter Streetwear Women
- ASICS Mens Tm Profile Raglan
- DD&MM Sliver gold Glitter Bikini Set Women Halter Swimwear High Cut Swimsuit Bathing Suit Female Brazilian Bikini Biquini color Silver Size XL
- MONTOJ Cute Dragonfly Pattern Leather Travel Bag Campus Backpack
- FisherPrice Imaginext Monster's University Scary Mike & Sulley Playset by FisherPrice
- Shimano highpower X stainless long cast dipper M80 SY011P
- Desert Camouflage Net Military Air Defense Sunscreen Oxford Cloth Tent Camping Shooting Hunting Sunshade Cover Multicolor and MultiSize Optional (color C, Size 6 8m)
- Blitzu Flex Plus Knee Compression Sleeves Brace Support Pair for Joint Pain, Arthritis Relief, Injury Recovery, Improve Circulation, Predect Patella, Best Sleeve for Men Women Elder Running, Walking
- Coleman 2000020273 Cot Twin PackAway W Side Table
- German Wear Chaps Fransenhose Reiter Cowboy Indianer Western Lederchaps Lederhose black
- Justice League Mens Ripping Apart Sweater
- Spank OOZY Trail 345 29 Bike Rims, Black Green
- FairOnly 4pcs Set 8ft 5 6 Fly Fishing Outfit Fly Rod & Fly Reel Complete Kit
Everyone should be free to live a safe and dignified life, have a family and make their contribution to society. The Other Foundation works to change the views, practices and institutions that prevent people – because of who they are or who they love – from being able to do that in southern Africa. We gather support for those who are working to protect and advance the rights, wellbeing and social inclusion of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities – and we give support in a smart way that helps groups to work better for lasting change.
The Other Foundation is an African trust dedicated to advancing human rights in MiYang Active Striped Racerback Tankini with Swim Briefs Two Piece Swimsuit for Women Black, with a particular focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people. Our primary purpose is to expand resources available to defend and advance the rights and well-being of LGBTI people in the Southern African region. We do this by working both as a grant-maker and a fundraiser. Read our full mission statement here. The Atlantic Philanthropies has provided a generous start-up grant over a five-year period to cover all operational costs, subject to the Foundation being able to raise additional funds from other sources. Ladies Handbag Women Silk Cocktail Evening Clutches Purse Bag Handbags Mini Small Cute (color Black)
The Foundation is pleased to announce the outcomes of its inaugural round of grant making. The Foundation allocated 32 grants, totaling around ZAR3.1 million, for work that will advance the rights and improve the well-being of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. Organisations and individuals were given grants ranging from ZAR10,000 to ZAR500,000. Click here to see a full list of grants that were allocated. The Other Foundation wanted its first grant making initiative to be a truly transparent and participatory process. Rather than consider grant proposals entirely on its own, the foundation’s board asked the public to nominate a panel of peer reviewers to help review and assess grant applications. The 12 peer reviewers chosen formed a diverse group from six countries in southern Africa. They worked in four teams, each facilitated by a board member, to decide which projects to recommend for funding. This gave meaningful expression to the identity of The Other Foundation as an LGBTI community foundation. Click here to see who the peer reviewers were in the grant making process.Click New Style high Quality AC 220 V 10 A 1 CH Wireless Remote Control Switch 2 Transmitter 2 Receiver to see a report about the development, implementation, and outcomes of this unique grant making process. The report will be of interest to foundations and philanthropists interested in more accountable and transparent ways of making grants.
The funds for the pilot grant-making initiative have come from personal gifts from 18 individual donors who visited South Africa early in 2014 to find out more about the amazing work that activists are doing to defend and advance the rights of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. The Atlantic Philanthropies matched the funds raised from this donor tour, providing The Other Foundation with close to ZAR4 million to give out as small grants to individuals and organisations across Southern Africa. A range of fundraising initiatives were launched in 2014. All funds that are raised will go to programming and grant-making as our operational costs are fully covered by the Atlantic Philanthropies for the next five years.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments. Becca by Rebecca Virtue Women's Tapestry Print Wrap Bikini Top Please contact us either by email, phone, or letter. White One Size ELINA FASHION Women's Sexy Pom Trim Kaftan Bikini Bath Swimsuit Beach Wrap Cover Ups Pareo Canga Swimwear
Human rights activist with a legal background. Active in church groups that promote greater understanding of diversity and human rights in a multi-cultural context.
Counseling psychologist and senior psychology lecturer. Former director of the transformation and employment equity office of Wits University.
Educationalist interested in the use of new technologies and a leadership coach. Technical support director in the South African government’s basic education department.
Economist, policy researcher, and entrepreneur with a corporate and investment banking background. Print media columnist on social and economic development issues.
Project management and programming specialist with a background in women’s and human rights of sexual minorities background. Co-founder of the Women’s Alliance for Equality.
Print, radio and television journalist with a strong commitment to amplifying the concerns of women. Media freedom activist.
Miguel de Brito
Mozambican human rights activist. Instrumental in setting up Mozambique’s leading LGBTI organisation. Democracy and governance specialist with a focus on electoral systems.
Organisational development, monitoring and evaluation, and project design specialist. Researcher and consultant on philanthropy development.
Co-founder of Arquivo de Identidade Angolano (the Angolan Identity Archive). Technical advisor on projects working to overcome stigma and discrimination in the provision of health services.
African philanthropy development practitioner, experienced grant maker, economic justice activist, and civil society strategist with a track record in establishing successful organisations. Chief executive officer of The Other Foundation.
The Other Foundation is grateful for the support it has received from